Best E-learning Authoring Tools for Online Compliance Training Development
There are many authoring tools available in today’s market. However, the most popular of them are Articulate Storyline and Captivate. You could use any one of the tools to develop compliance training programs. Here are some of the features of the eLearning development tools that might help you in choosing the one that is ideal for your requirement.
Articulate storyline is the most end-user and developer friendly authoring tool. Complex animations, interactivities and scenarios can be created quickly with the in-built features of Storyline. With some practice, Flash-like courses can be created with Storyline. With simple interface, triggers, variables and tracking options, Articulate Storyline is the instructional designer’s best friend and developer’s dream tool. All it needs is your creativity to transform a boring compliance course into an engaging and interesting eLearning course.
Briefly, Storyline has the following features that could benefit a compliance course.
- It has a simple and user-friendly GUI, making it intuitive and easy to work with, even if users didn't have prior online learning experience. It also provides three publishing options viz., Flash, Storyline mobile player and HTML 5 in a single click.
- It has interactive built-in templates that can be used to create visually-rich learning content. Text, media and assessments can be included quickly and easily. Experienced developers can also customize the templates to suit their corporate style guides.
- Storyline also makes it easy for translating the course into multiple languages. It supports right to left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew.
- It has a default sound and video editor that can be used to perform basic audio and video editing which helps save a lot of time.
- Storyline comes with a wide variety of illustrated and photographic characters along with multiple expressions and poses that is a boon when developing scenarios for compliance courses. This helps in making courses interesting and lively to participants.
Adobe Captivate 8
Adobe Captivate 8 is the latest version of Captivate. It has a user-friendly interface that in many ways is a game-changer because it can be used to develop responsive eLearning courses. Responsive eLearning ensures that no matter which device participants use (iPad, Smartphone or tablets), the screen is adjusted to provide optimal viewing experience. This is particularly significant, if organizations want to allow their employees to complete a compliance course even via their iPads or tablet PCs.
Briefly, here are some useful features of Captivate that ensure compliance courses are engaging and interactive.
- Captivate makes it easy to create scenario based eLearning courses. It also have a set of in-built characters with various expressions which enables creation of various scenarios, based on the course content.
- Videos can be inserted into the course easily to make the course lively. Captivate 8 supports a wide variety of video formats. However, if you want them to play on mobile devices, videos have to be developed in .flv or .mp4 formats.
- Interactive assessments can be developed to engage participants and ensure their active involvement in the course. Gaming interactivities such as Catch Alphanums interaction and Memory game interaction that are compatible with mobile devices can be developed using Captivate 8.
- Perhaps the most attractive feature of Captivate 8 is the feasibility of developing courses with responsive design. GUI can be developed such that it automatically adjusts itself to the screen size of the device, on which the course is being accessed.
- Additional features provided in Captivate 8 are responsive themes (that allow you to provide customized colors for desktop, tablets and mobile devices) and geolocation (this feature helps in tracking the location from where the participant is accessing the course).
You need to select the right authoring tool, based on your individual requirements, course content and the learning experience you want to provide to your employees. No tool is superior to the other and one tools seems better than the other when it better caters to your requirement. So, the first place to start with is to truly understand what you have with you to develop the course. You need to answer the following questions.
- What are the interactivities that you wish to include in your courses?
- What are the devices and browsers used by your employees to access the courses?
- What is the bandwidth available for accessing the course, and is it uniform across different regions in which you plan to launch the course?
- Do you have developers who have the expertise to use a particular tool? Merely purchasing the authoring tool does not ensure quality eLearning development. The tool is merely a ‘tool’ and expert workmanship is needed to create a masterpiece from the raw materials.
- Do you have the budget to purchase the license for the authoring tool or is it better to outsource it to an external vendor?
Here is a video blog that provides you with guidelines to choose the right authoring tool for your rapid eLearning requirement. You could apply the same guidelines for developing online compliance courses as well.
View our E-learning Demo Course on Compliance Training