Our client is a multinational plant equipment manufacturer based in Switzerland, with a mission is to provide healthy food and clean mobility through their three divisions – Grains & Food Solutions, Consumer Foods Solutions, and Advanced Materials.
With their more than 13000 strong workforce and presence in over 140 countries, they have more than 100 service stations, 30 manufacturing sites, and 25 application centers, and have generated revenues of CHF 2.70 billion in 2021.
They contribute significantly to feeding the world’s population through their process technologies and solutions. Every day, two billion people enjoy foods produced on our client’s equipment. And one billion people travel in vehicles that were manufactured using parts produced with their machinery. Around 50% of all new cars worldwide having die-cast components produced with the help of their technology.
The client first became aware of CommLab India’s services through our inbound marketing efforts – blogs, newsletters, and webinars. They tried us out in 2015 with an eLearning project worth €4,000. And when they saw the quality of our work, our iterative process that freed the SMEs for their other responsibilities, the high learner engagement, and increased course completion rates, they continued to partner with us.
Of course, the fact that Commlab India offers a variety of services (classroom to eLearning and VILT conversion, Flash [legacy courses] to HTML5 conversion, and eLearning translations), all under one roof, was a big plus! Our ability to roll out large numbers of courses, within timelines, and at a pricing that works, and our expertise in most of the popular eLearning authoring tools (Articulate, Lectora, Captivate, iSpring, dominKnow, etc.) helped CommLab India to be listed among their approved vendors.
We had started with one project and one stakeholder in 2015. By 2022, the numbers had grown to 195 projects and 24 stakeholders from different divisions in the organization.
Through microlearning, of course!
The client requirement in this instance was to create a short eLearning course on Emergency/Evacuation procedures for one of their manufacturing sites. This safety awareness program was meant for all employees and evacuation helpers/workers and aimed to educate them on the necessary security measures to be applied in case of an alarm, to avoid damage to property and minimize the loss of life.
This short 8-10-minute course was to be developed in German with English subtitles, supported by audio narration by a single professional narrator. The course was required to be highly interactive, and to be developed with the authoring tool Adobe Captivate, compliant to SCORM 2004.
The team that worked on the project included an instructional designer, a dedicated project manager, and a course developer.
The strategy decided on for this microlearning safety training course was to start it with a bang by posing an icebreaker question and then lead into the topic of evacuation. High-impact real images were used to show possible accidents and their consequences. Original maps of escape and rescue routes were used to familiarize learners with the site. Different types of learning activities were included in the course (scenarios, drag-and-drop activities, and MCQs) to ensure learners could absorb and remember what to do in case of emergencies.
A big challenge in this project was that the course was to be developed in German, without having a master course in English. Added to that, the inputs for the course were also in German. As none of the Commlab India team was conversant with German, this posed a major hurdle.
So, we created a new process with new steps for this project. As a first step, we got the inputs in German translated into English. Any queries that needed to be addressed by the SME were first documented in English, translated into German, and then sent to the client. The clarifications in German were translated into English, and then implemented. This process was followed for the entire project, from analyzing the inputs, to storyboard (SB) creation, and finally, course development. The SB was created in English and sent to translators. Then the storyboard in German was sent to reviewers. The client feedback in German was again sent for translation into English, and then implemented. The slides with feedback implemented in English were translated into German and sent for approval to the client. The same process was also followed for course development and course reviews.
The client was very happy with how the course came out.